Recent pattern hacks
Lace Cover Up
Bought the pattern for the asymetric shape and envisioned a linen crop top. In the meantime, purchased a spaghetti strap maxi dress that just cried out for a lace cover up. The interesting RTW–anything other than a boring cardigan–were in the three digit figures. Then, the tablecloth lace purchased at Fabric Outlet in San Francisco, came to mind; the perfect fit!
My daughter wondered why I paid $16 for a what is basically a rectangle. Good question! Good Answer: it’s worth it to me not to have to calculate size of rectangle, find a similar pattern shape to compare it to–just because… Unfolding a pattern is totally worth the money, not to mention the time saved.
I only used the pattern back to cut two pieces. Since the selvedge is finished with a border, used it for a boat neck then trimmed off a lace motif to finish the hem and arms.
Liberty of London
This is another simple hack–lengthened a top into a dress.
The fabric is true vintage–over 20 years old. It aged in my sister’s stash and was then gifted to me where it aged a few more years.
The Liberty of London cottons are exceptionally soft and luxurious. It is the perfect choice for a summer dress; it’s opaque (minimal undergarments) and breathable for humid weather.
And, tucked the hem ala Vogue 8637.
Looks good loosely belted too.
A Serious Hack
This dress is a Serious Hack, combing pieces from two patterns, Vogue and McCalls.
The fabric is a cotton and lycra pique texture from Fabrix. Love this discount store as it is only six blocks from where I hang out when in SF so can check out their inventory every day.
As you see, already have both orange and pink shoes. And, as it turns out, also have orange and pink accessories.
I liked the Vogue neckline and cap sleeve and the Simplicity skirt–it has pockets, and pleats to disguise The Belly.
The best part of this hack that made it so easy is that the bodices are similar lengths so the Simplicity skirt fit at the same part of the body as the Vogue. You will have to trust me on this as don’t have a photo comparing the two. I used a french curve to true the seam between the underarm and skirt.
The front bodice pattern is two pieces so just taped them together by matching stitching lines to eliminate the seam